About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Washington 13, Us 13, Irs 7, Mr. Obama 6, Obama 6, Libya 6, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 5, Darrell Issa 5, The Irs 4, Obama Administration 3, Garth 3, Bill O'reilly 3, Clinton 2, Dulcolax 2, Verizon 2, Charles Krauthammer 2, Laura Ingraham 2, Coca Cola 2, Dr. Walsh 2, Miralax 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC)  

    May 16, 2013
    5:00 - 6:01pm PDT  

5:00pm
themselves ever since, haven't they now you know the news for this thursday, may 16th, 2013. i'm back tomorrow, noon pacific, 3:00 eastern for "studio b." back here for fox report right before this happens. >> bill: the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> my main concern is fixing the problem. >> and there are plenty of them to be fixed. the president is facing scrutiny on three fronts. >> when we express concern about leaks at a time when i still have got 60,000 plus troops in afghanistan, my job is to make sure that we're protecting what they do. >> tonight, we will update you on where all the controversy stands and talk to three individuals who are very skeptical of mr. obama charles krauthammer, congressman darrell issa, and laura ingraham will weigh in. why are you mounting this kind of support for him? >> there is just not enough
5:01pm
evidence. it's just insane. i mean, he is not a terrorist. it's hard to believe that thousands of young women apparently are enthralled with the capture terrorist dzhokhar tsarnaev. we will try to get to the bottom of that. >> caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone, the factor begins right now. >> bill: i'm bill o'reilly, thanks for watching us tonight. the president of the united states under siege. that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. the obama administration has trouble on three fronts as you may know. the irs illegally investigating conservatives. the assassination of libyan ambassador christopher stephens still not defined after eight months. and the justice department secretly obtaining the phone records of some journalists. today, the president met with the turkish prime minister who looked a
5:02pm
little confused and then answered questions about the three controversies. we begin with the irs deal. >> i'm outraged by this in part because, look, i'm a public figure. if a future administration is starting to use the tax laws to favor one party over another or one political view over another, obviously we are all vulnerable. >> bill: okay. mr. obama fired the irs acting director last night and replaced him today with another bureaucrat. but there is deep suspicion in some circles that the liberal obama administration created an atmosphere where far left zealots in the irs were basically unsupervised. they could do what they want. that's a hard charge to prove but, there is no question that mr. obama's administration is ideological. thus, suspicions run deep. today, mr. obama pledged a big irs clean-up. >> we will be putting in
5:03pm
new leadership that will be able to make sure that following up on the i.g. audit, that we gather up all the facts that he we hold accountable those that have taken these outrageous actions. >> of course, the president had to say that what's he going to say i'm not going to do anything? i'm not going to fix it. i don't care. he had to say that again, there is suspicion because after 8 months the benghazi deal still has not been fixed. today the president fell back on an old canard. >> i'm calling on congress to work with us to support and fully fund our budget requests to improve the security of our embassies around the world. >> bill: you may remember that senator barbara boxer and other democrats blamed benghazi on the fact that republicans want to cut spending. the "the washington post" looked at that charge and found it completely bogus. the security screw up in libya was solely the fault of bad management in washington.
5:04pm
why mr. obama would want to revisit the spending deal is a mystery tonight. the president is on more solid ground, i should say, when he speaks about the associated press controversy. there are about 20 phone lines secretly scrutinized by the justice department. not tapped. they just got the phone line records. why did they do that? here is what mr. obama said. >> when we express concern about leaks at a time when i have still got 60,000 plus troops in afghanistan and i have still got a whole bunch of intelligence officers around the world who are in risky situations in outposts that in some cases are as dangerous as the outpost in benghazi, that part of my job is to make sure that we're protecting what they do. >> talking points believes that's a legitimate concern. that the war on terror covert operations have to be protected to some extent. if the press prints
5:05pm
everything, some of our people will die. but there is always the abuse of power question. did the justice department go too far with the associated press. won't get an answer from the attorney general. he says he doesn't know anything about it he has recused himself. the assistant attorney general still has not been forced by president obama to say what he knows and therein lies the problem the president should be a problem solver. he has the authority to make his people talk. get them out there. stand next to them. if there is a legitimate reason to pull the phone records of reporters, then, in a general sense tell us what that reason is the story is over. if there is a legitimate reason not to provided ad security in libya, tell us the reason. on the irs front, please explain why the irs director lied to the country in november. and how that department could get so out of control. it's a sad fact of life
5:06pm
that politics almost always intrudes on leadership. instead of really solving robs, president obama and most every other modern president tries to deflect them. mr. obama did that again today when he put a happy face on the a.p. matter saying there should be new laws that protect reporters. >> to the extent this case has prompted renewed interest about how do we strike that balance properly, and i think now is the time for us to go ahead and revisit that legislation. >> see what i mean? so the president now wants more protections for reporters, even has his administration rifles through their phone records. this is great. you know. all right. this has been a tough week for the obama administration things will get even tougher whistle blowers emerge. mistakes about were made on many fronts. must be very aggressive in explaining to the american public exactly what happened and why it happened. so far he hasn't done it
5:07pm
that's the memo. next on the run down, charles krauthammer will analyze the three controversies and my talking points memo. later, perhaps, president obama's worst nightmare will join us. republican congressman darrell issa. we're coming right back. why are twice as many people choosing verizon
5:08pm
over any other carrier? many choose us because we have the largest 4glte network. others, because of our reputation for reliability. or maybe it's because we've received jd power and associates' customer service award 4x in a row. in the end, there are countless reasons. but one choi.
5:09pm
5:10pm
>> impact segment get to charles krauthammer joins from us washington. so i didn't make any mistakes in the talking points, charles, did i leave anything out? that's important. >> no, i thought it was definitely an a plus. brilliant presentation and the intone nation was excellent. [ laughter ] i think what's going on here is you have got a president who came to washington saying he was going to change washington. change the essence of politics itself and now he is reduced to trying to explain why his whole bureaucracy is out of control. now, his best answer, it makes him look ridiculous but it's the best he can
5:11pm
do, the most protective is to take the position on just a bystander. i didn't know what was happening with the irs. the attorney general said i don't even i don't know how the a.p. story came about. i recused myself glow even know when i recused myself. get on benghazi you get secretary of state hillary clinton at the time saying i never saw the memo, the desperate memo that came from benghazi from the ambassador in libya saying this is a death trap. you have got to help us. everybody is unable to track what's going on. so i think their best defense is shear incompetence in rubbing the -- running the government. that's where it starts. >> bill: how did in your opinion the bureaucracy that the obama administration put together unravel? what is the weak point? what are they doing wrong in so many places? >> i'm not sure that you've got a theme that would
5:12pm
explain everything. but, let me tell you the one that is the most dangerous to the president and to the presidency is the irs scandal. first of all that's what everybody viscerally is really upset about. benghazi complicated. the story about ap it's a bunch of journalists defending themselves. everybody understands the power of the irs. when you get a letter from the irs. you know it's not happy news. you didn't win the lottery. it's bad news. and you know that they have the power and everybody feels that. for the irs to so overtly abuse its power now they want us to believe that a bunch of bureaucrats in cincinnati got together and decided they would target the right? that's not a plausible story we now know it came into washington. obama was asked this
5:13pm
morning at the press conference did you not know about any of this before you heard about it on friday? did anybody in the white house not know about this? so he is asked about anybody. >> bill: let's run the sound bite. >> wife did he say i.g. report? >> bill: let's run the sound bite. i want you to answer your own question. >> i will speculate. >> bill: here w >> you can assure the american people that nobody in the white house knew about the agency's actions before your counsel's office found out on april 22nd? >> i can can assure you that i certainly did not know anything about the ig report before the ig report had been leaked through press -- through the press. >> bill: all right. so that's the big controversial sound bite tonight. now, you are going to speculate. we have a speculation warning up on the screen here. but why do you think the president worded it that
5:14pm
way? >> look at what he was asked. he was asked does anybody in the white house know anything about the irs actions? so first of all he says i didn't know about the ig report only i, he doesn't speak about the white house and the ig report, he wasn't asked about that. >> bill: right. >> if he didn't know anything about anything, why didn't he say i didn't know anything about anything? >> i don't know. i thought maybe he was just trying to. >> he is giving himself wriggle room and he refused to answer anybody in the white house. if it goes to somebody in the white house or someone taking direction from the white house, that could be a failed problem. remember, the second article of impeachment for nixon was about the abuse of the irs. why didn't he say no one in the white house? >> bill: no one can answer
5:15pm
that question tonight. if i were barack obama and i was answering honestly today, okay, i would say how do i know if somebody in the white house knew? i don't know. it wasn't brought to my attention. i don't know what they are doing 24/7. i can't possibly know that and the second thing is: why did he reference the ig report? because it's in the news. that's what broke the story. he said i didn't know anything about this ig report. you know, look, he did the same thing on benghazi. when he used the word terrorism very early on n describing what happened to the ambassador and the three other americans, but he didn't say terrorists okay? and that's caused a whole bunch. so he does pars words. now the question for you, charles, as observe everywhere of the man for five years, does he do it on purpose or is he just speaking -- shooting from the lip as they say? >> no. when you have got a scandal with the irs that could be a fatal one you are
5:16pm
extremely careful. you prepare you don't go off the cuff. he is a professional. he has been in the business. he is a very good politician. why didn't he give a broad answer. i didn't know anything. >> bill: here is the rub. if it's shown that he did know about the irs abuses. he is not going to be able to hide behind that sound bite. is he through. if he did know, just lie if he wants to keep -- and if he didn't know, he can say look, i didn't know about any of it. >> look, his general counsel learned about this april 22nd. you want us to believe that for three weeks the general counsel knew about this and doesn't tell the president? >> bill: yeah all he had to say was i knew it on april 22nd when it came into our purview. >> i'm saying there are a lot of implausible elements in this. when you and i heard about the irs deal, within a second we knew this was a really bad deal. >> that's right. and i said it and he said it. >> if his counsel hears
5:17pm
that, he knows instantly this could be a really bad deal. and does he hold it and not tell anybody else in the white house for three weeks? that is implausible. and if he did. >> bill: why do you think he didn't they didn't tell anybody for three weeks when they knew it was going to come out because the inspector general was going to issue the report. so why didn't they tell anybody? we don't know anything about it. >> i don't have an answer on this but all i know is when you hear the parsing of the words and you have these implausible elements you know there is something else behind there. we don't know what it is. we will find out. >> bill: the mystery deepens, i don't know if we will find out or not. i hope we do. why is the obama administration prosecuting so many people accused of lacking national security secrets? then a shocking story. thousands of young women apparently are infatuated with the terrorist dzhokhar tsarnaev. those reports after these messages. i'm on expert on softball. and tea parties.
5:18pm
i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for, because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. ready to plan for your future? we'll help you get there. you get 5% back, on everything. everything. everything. everything. everything? [ all ] everything? everything. male announcer ] get free shipping and 5% back on everything your business needs. that was easy. if you're suffering from constipation, miralax or metamucil may take days to work. or faster relief, try dulcolax laxative tablets. dulcolax provides gentle relief overnight unlike miralax and metamucil that can take up to 3 days. for predictable relief try dulcolax.
5:19pm
resulting in unexpected power and agility. experience the adventurous, all-powerful gator rsx850i. sixty-two horsepower, a fully independent multi-link suspension and a top speed of 53 miles per hour. it's a whole new species of gator. right now, visit your dealer or johndeere.com/gator to get $800 off the gator rsx850i. right now, visit your dealer or johndeere.com/gator all stations come over to mithis is for real this time. step seven point two one two. rify and lock. command is locked. five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers.
5:20pm
5:21pm
>> factor follow up segment tonight, the obama administration has indicted six federal employees for lacking classified information, that's more than any other administration. what exactly is going on? joining us from washington is that correct zad and attorney who often represents federal employees who get caught up in this kind of stuff. we have covert prafingses around the world terror. if the press finds out about them. they could die. i think we know about that is the obama administration doing anything wrong here by upping the prosecutions of the leakers? >> no. not necessarily. leaks need to be prosecuted as you said my clients are often covert intelligence officers. military members and a leak could actually cause them harm what's different since the clinton administration and bush administration
5:22pm
deplored leaks and wanted to go after many of these started in the bush administration. what's changed is the evidence. this administration has had access to the evidence mostly electronic emails, phone records like with the a.p. issuance of a subpoena. and they have been able to prosecute going forward. ill. >> >> bill: you are saying that the high tech apparatus the justice department now has enables them to ferret out these leakers a lot easier than had been in the past in longer the days of bernstein meeting deep throat at 2:30 in the morning in the parking lot. >> bill: guy recently convicted at fox news recently convicted of a crime from taking information from fox news and giving it to fox haters and they tracked this guy down like that because our security people here are very, tech savvy, that's an interesting thing. >> people think they will use encrypted email which they can't break. that's not good when the united states takes a
5:23pm
subpoena, goes to the internet provider and grabs all the emails and hard copy. >> bill: right. it's hard to get around. that's what's happening. now, story breaks, 20 phone lines and again, they weren't tapped. it wasn't like the feds were tapping these guys they wanted to see who they were calling on 20 different lines so that they could hatch it with is there anybody working in a classified capacity that these associated press reporters are talking to? and, therefore, if there were, we will pick those people up, right? that's what it was about. >> right to. at least show there was a communication between the two. obviously they won't know the contents but perhaps they might have interviewed people who said i did not speak with them. >> bill: the cia or any other intel agency and they have got six call sheets for a.p. reporter. the fbi going to go in and talk to them. >> exactly. >> bill: all of this makes sense. but, the associate the press is saying listen, that was way too much. i mean, you went in on a
5:24pm
fishing expedition and now you have got people involved. you are checking people out. that's invasion of their privacy and this is what you can't do in a free society. how do you answer that? >> well, they may be right. we don't know because we don't know yet the scope of what the investigation is actually about. >> bill: but neither does holder. he accident know either. >> because he accused himself. >> bill: other guy in charge won't tell us. >> right. >> bill: i don't like that. do you like that? >> well, no. i mean, but there are guidelines that are being presumably being followed. >> bill: how do we know if nobody will tell us what they did? >> we will know at some point. the problem with this, bill, is that this administration, coming in on its grounds of transparency and wanting to be the presidency that would protect national security, in particular whistle blowers, has done little to nothing to do so. people don't wake up one morning and say "i'm going to become a whistle blower or leaker" and leak classified information. >> bill: got hammered in when nixon the second in
5:25pm
command in libya started credit saying the security. they got pounded. >> people to come forward and tell people internally to the government i'm concerned about something. >> bill: right, there is abuse of power all right. we have got to strengthen those laws. thanks very much. very interesting statement. shocking story out of boston where that terrorist dzhokhar tsarnaev remains in federal custody. apparently thousands of young women are infatuated with him. laura ingraham and darrell issa on the president's rough week. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. oh, he's a fighter alright.
5:26pm
since aflac is helping with his expenses while he can't work, he can focus on his recovery. he doesn't have to worry so much about his mortgage, groceries, or even gas bills. kick! kick... feel it! feel it! feel it! nice work! ♪ you got it! you got it! yes! aflac's gonna help take care of his expenses. and us...we're gonna get him back in fighting shape. ♪ [ male announcer ] see what's happening behind the scenes at ducktherapy.com. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies,
5:27pm
celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't take celebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or intestine, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex.
5:28pm
for a body in motion. you will lose 3 sets of keys 4 cell phones 7 socks and 6 weeks of sleep but one thing you don't want to lose is any more teeth. if you wear a partial, you are almost twice as likely to lose your supporting teeth. new poligrip and polident for partials 'seal and protect' helps minimize stress, which may damage supporting teeth, by stabilizing your partial. and 'clean and protect' kills odor-causing bacteria.
5:29pm
care for your partial. help protect your natural teeth. >> bill: in the are we crazy segment tonight, listen to this. 19-year-old dzhokhar tsarnaev remains in federal custody in massachusetts but apparently on facebook there are thousands of postings, many from young women sympathetic to him. at least one girl considered tattooing the terrorist's name on her arm. joining us now from waltz and attorney and psychiatrist. sympathy for the devil has been around. almost every mass murderer has had a cult following. can you explain it dr. forest. >> bristolophelia or bonnie and clyde syndrome is what they call it there are a lot of theories about why this happens, self-esteem, bad boy syndrome, you name it for me for these girls on the internet, i think this is about 15 minutes of fame and attention.
5:30pm
>> all right. so you don't think they are sincere in thinking this guy is worthy of some kind of sympathy, you think that he they're just acting out. >> justin bieber. >> bill: i'm sorry? >> i'm sorry, i think this is just like justin bieber for them,. >> bill: bill they don't equate death, destruction, arms and legs blowing off people. 8-year-old boy being killed, that doesn't enter into their minds of these people? >> no. they do that all day long. >> i don't think they see that. >> they see that all day long in their media, bill. you know, one massive study out of ucla showed that add low less cents values have changed dramatically in last 10 years. in 1997, some of the top five values included community feeling, kindless, self-acceptance and just 10 years later in 2007, guess what was at the top for adolescents, celebrity, fame, self-image and financial success. these girls are logging on
5:31pm
to him. they don't care, remember, plenty of reality shows, the people in them may be very bad and have terrible ethics but they still make a lot of money. so to them celebrity is what matters. i think they don't think it's real it's hard to believe now dr. forest, if you have a daughter, 15, 14, posting on facebook that this guy is a good guy. i would get my daughter psychiatric help. i don't think that's a joke. i would take that you will that seriously and you say? >> i think you are right, bill. i think you do have to take it seriously. i don't know if you have to jump to psychiatric help right away. but i do think you have tohavet relationships and about denial and about what a real relationship is like and that there is a difference between a crush. >> bill: one thing that they all have in common, and, again, every jail house murder, every serial killer, ted bundy i know him because i tracked that guy. they all have the same
5:32pm
thing. all right? it doesn't seem that the people who get attached to these monsters have any feelings at all for their victims. i mean, to say that dzhokhar tsarnaev didn't do it and you see that on facebook. >> they do. they find ways to rationalize it. >> you can't though. because then you are into the insane zone. then you are into you have got real problem zone. >> a will the of conspiracy theories out there. if you read the post conspiracy theories or revenge of the government or the government is lying about him plays into that. >> bill: find him in a boat bleeding with bullet holes after he shoots it out with police and the government is lying about him. see, what i'm trying -- >> -- not rational. >> bill: what i'm trying to get to ladies is this. if you have a young person in your life and this is the mentality, this isn't like a crush on mick jagger or some bad boy rocker. all right?
5:33pm
this is serious. all right? then you are into a different zone. you are in a zone where if that's the way you feel, you could be coerced by a real life monster to do bad things to help somebody do terrible things. this has got to be taken seriously, dr. walsh. >> i absolutely agree. you know, i have always said that parents need to be their friend's facebook friend and following them on twitter and reading instagrams use them as teaching moments to understand. a lot of the young girls are rationalizing behavior. brain washed by older brother. all of the sudden he is the underdog and they have compassion for him for some crazy reason. but this is a piece of it. >> bill: all right. now, what does society do, all right, if anything, because, again, we are an open free society and we report the news and now we have this worldwide town hall internet business where you can say whatever you want with anonymity. nobody knows that you are totally a lunatic because have you, you know, a code
5:34pm
name. should there be scorn? see, if i -- again, coming back, if i knew somebody was doing, this i would get angry. i would scold them. what's the matter with you? an 8-year-old boy is dead and you are sympathizing with the guy who killed him? what is wrong with you? not dzhokhar, you? what is wrong with you? >> and i think it should go. >> bill, i think. >> bill: one at a time. go ahead dr. forest? >> look, bill, i think there is a consequence. do we scorn an 8-year-old girl. it's a teachable moment as wendy said. i think you make a consequence to it and say. >> bill: that's not what i'm talking about. i'm not talking 8. i'm talking in the teen years. last word, dr. walsh. >> i think you should go on facebook and put a posting on their page. they would be thrilled you are a much bigger celebrity. the internet can be self-regulating and while there is this adoration of this young man out there. there are plenty of people also dissing these girls, shaming these girls and telling them they are idiots for feeling it.
5:35pm
>> bill: i don't think they have saddam hussein any shame. i think shame may be going away. we will talk about that next week. congressman darrell issa who is convinced the obama administration is corrupt. we will present his case. the congressman is next. for over 125 years we've been bringing people together. today we'd like people to come together on something that concerns all of us...obesity. and as the nations leading beverage company we can play an important role. that includes continually providing more options.
5:36pm
giving people easy ways to help make informed choices. and offering portion controlled versions of our most popular drinks. it also means working with our industry to voluntarily change whats offered in schools. but beating obesity will take continued action by all of us. based on one simple common sense fact, all calories count. and if you eat and drink more calories then you burn off you'll gain weight. that goes for coca cola and everything else with calories. finding a solution will take all of us. but at coca cola we know when people come together good things happen to learn more visit coke.com/comingtogether bjorn earns unlimited rewas for his small business take theseags to room 12 please. [ garth ] bjors small busiss earns double miles on every purchase every day. produce delivery. [ bjorn ] just put it on my spark card. [ garth why settle for less? ahh, oh! [ garth ] great businesses deserve limited reward
5:37pm
here's your wake up call. [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards. choose double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase every day. what's in your wallet? [ crows ] now where's the snooze button? i took my son fishing every year. we had a great spot, not easy to find, but worth it. but with copd making it hard to breathe, i thought those days might be over. so my doctor prescribed symbicort. it helps significantly improve my lung function starting within five minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. with symbicort, today i'm breathing betr. and that means...fish on! symbicort is for copd including chronic bronchiti and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. with copd, i thought i'd miss our family tradition. now symbicort significantly improves my lung nction, starting within 5 minutes.
5:38pm
and that makes a difference in my breathing. today, we're ready for whaver swims our way. ask your doctor aut symbicort. i got my first prescription free. call or cck to learn more. [ male announcer ] if you n't afrd your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. >> bill: thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly. in the personal story segment tonight. perhaps president obama's
5:39pm
biggest nightmare is republican congressman darrell issa, chairman of the house oversight and government reform committee. the congressman has been involved with benghazi, the fast and furious gun scandal and mr. obama's liberal appointments. the congressman joins us from washington. i think tonight we want to try to advance the story. as we all know the factor audience knows what has happened. president obama says he is going to fix it. the only thing he is not going to fix is benghazi. that's still very hurricaney. he will fix the irs. going to get to the bottom of the a.p. thing. might be justified. how do you see this thing going forward? does mr. obama, can you link him to anything that is going to be troublesome for him? >> well, certainly, bill, the first thing you have to remember is with fast and furious, after congress was lied to, the american people were lied to for 10 months. he asserted executive privilege and is not willing to turn over the actual records of those lies. that advance transparency before we get to benghazi. >> bill: nothing more you can do. his own justice department isn't going to investigate
5:40pm
it. so it's a skate. he wins. >> well, perhaps. although a federal judge has the case before them. he may defy a federal judge but we don't think so bill, the real problem here is there is a broad pattern that agency after agency of this government, you know, n.nlrb with boeing. can you go threw a litany of different entities who if they get to court are essentially slamentd for exceeding their jurisdiction. but, in the short run, this organization is created executive orders, lousy at actually getting legislation through or even complying with existing laws. when it comes to trans (is i the american people are the losers. >> bill: everybody knows that now. in fact, even the left knows it because what they are writing is well the president is a big ideas guy. he not involved with the micro. he doesn't really manage that way yeah the irs is
5:41pm
out of control in cincinnati. he wouldn't know anything about that. benghazi thing it was screw up from top to bottom. that's hillary's fault. he doesn't micromanage hillary clinton. this is when the left is saying. big ideas guy. not a micromanager. one person called him a bystander. where does the story go if that's true? you can have your hearings and you can bring these guys in. you are going to find morrell at the cia is probably the guy that screwed up the benghazi stuff. and some state department person said no security-to-security. i think you will find that. in the irs thing here are the irs pinheads they let these guys run wild. why would obama know anything about a cincinnati op. it seems to me it's going to go on and on and on until he gets out of office and he we get a new president. >> bill, i'm going to look past this president for a moment and realize, for example, with benghazi we have three questions that have to be answered. one, how are we going to
5:42pm
keep future state departments from failing to provide sufficient security in facilities and people for men and women in harm's way? two, how are we going to have answers when they do get attacked so there is immediate attempt at least to rescue them. three, when there is a report, a credible report from the both the ambassador before he was killed and the number two immediately that this is a terrorist attack how do we see gets the american people or at least. >> bill: i don't know if you lemming late that congressman. it all comes down to whether you have good people in positions of responsibility. that's my next question. do you think that president obama and his guys and gals appoint bad people? is that the problem incompetent people? >> well, i mean, here is an example. tom perez, who is up to be secretary of labor, he made false statements to congress.
5:43pm
violated the federal records act. went ahead and told us he had no private emails. then we found out he had one. then two. then 34, now 35. the justice department won't turn those documents over. so it's quite frankly eric holder and other people hot president knows are basically covering for him. covering, denying, delayed. >> bill: would why they want perez to be labor secretary in your opinion had if he has got all of these lies as you say on his sheet? why would he want him in there. >> he will be controlling an awful lot of labor policy and union activities. remember, this is somebody who went to saint paul, minnesota cut a deal to stop the supreme court from having a case that, in his opinion, might have changed civil rights law in some way that he didn't approve of. he is very effective of getting done what he wants to get done but is he ideologically driven. bill, my committee is called the government oversight and reform committee. there are areas and i will give you the one that's most on taxpayer's minds
5:44pm
today. the irs is essentially not a political organization. it has only roughly three political appointees and they are not at low levels where this is being done. so, the question is, will we provide reforms? the committees of congress that create a level of transparency and accountability that keeps the day-to-day irs people from essentially falling back into the pattern of no controls. >> bill: have people following him around. it just looks to me like the climate of -- that was created here was a climate of do whatever you want if you are on the team. i'm oversimplifying if you are on the ideological liberal team, you can do whatever you want. i will give you the last word. >> the last word is there are 12,000 men and women who work for 74 inspector's general. they have done a phenomenal job when called on and allowed to see information. there is hope for the american people if we can empower the ig's as they are known to do more of this criminal
5:45pm
investigation, to look for more waste, fraud and abuse and be given access to data. that's one of the changes we want to make sure happens during this administration. >> bill: moreover sight by the inspector's general. that's a good idea; thanks for coming on the program. ms. ingraham on deck. we will debrief her about the events of the vehicle. laura moments away. why are twice as many people choosing verizon over any other carrier?
5:46pm
many choose us because we have the largest 4glte network. others, because of our reputation for reliability. or maybe it's because we've received jd power and associates' customer service award 4x in a row. in the end, there are countless reasons. but one choi.
5:47pm
5:48pm
>> back of the book segment tonight. the week in review from the ingraham angle. joining us from washington is miss laura. this is the first week of the obama term. would you say that. >> absolutely. for sure. now where do we go here? because we can't just keep going over the same old stuff. i think it's been fairly well defined on the fox news channel that the president has some, you know, problems. he says he is going to fix
5:49pm
the problems but still really won't define what happened in libya and you say? >> well, i think you pointed out something very important with darrell issa that you have to move the agenda. you just can't repeating the same things over and over again. i think that with the president himself he came across this week, even bill to his supporters removed from washington. he is in washington, yet he talks about washington as if he floats above it. he is there. he is the chief executive officer. so even if you have a great deal of affection for the president. he seems like incompetent manager of his people. the government is big undoubtedly huge. which is an issue, i believe, at the end of all of this that really redowndz to conservative benefit. conservative thought is that government needs to shrink. it needs to be starved of money and power because you can't hold these bureaucracies accountable. you can try. you might be able to find out who hooked up that idea at the irs.
5:50pm
>> bill: best example of that. you can't do it. >> you have to starve the beast. >> bill: okay. the conservatives can make that ideological point. still, it's not going to matter in elections because people don't pay attention to real ideology. so that's my next question for you. the folks are starting to hear stuff. even though "american idol" and they are dancing still and they have got "the voice," and on the island with lizards. they are starting to get something coming through. >> unfairness. >> bill: they know there is trouble. do you see this continuing? >> i do as we continue to learn more information. again, i think we have to be sober about this. i mean, it's easy to get really overheated and a complete outrage what happened to pro-life groups, groups that were trying to teach the constitution small organizations trying to get 501 c 3 status. >> bill: you are talking about the irs scandal. >> right. the questions about their
5:51pm
members and all of that is ridiculous, bill. i think those stories really do stay with people because it's not -- it's not all that removed. it's somebody who just wants to get his or her voice heard and maybe wants to have a little influence and they're treated as they were treated. so it's a basic level of fairness. i think on this show you try to do a show that it's about fairness. not left and right. >> bill: i'm trying to -- look, i want people -- >> -- good friends get into fights. that's okay. >> bill: it is. >> that's fine. we adore you. >> bill: but i want people to know when they come here they are going to get precision. >> right. >> bill: they are not going to get ideology. look, the fast and furious scandal went nowhere because as congressman issa defined president obama pulled out an executive order and everything sealed down. they will do the same thing with libya. you are probably never going to know although i think i do know now thanks to mr. hicks, you know, precisely what happened. >> powerful. >> bill: it was one notch below hillary clinton. hillary wasn't paying
5:52pm
attention. >> clearly powerful. bill, as you talked about before. what was the president doing that night? we still don't know. >> bill: he was asleep. he had to go to vegas on a fundraiser. >> the wheel. had to spin it the next day. those kind of things stick with people. whether or not the ultimate hearings reveal more we don't know yet. there is a lot more to all of these stories, i believe. in the end it's about fairness, bill, and it's about competence. we want a government that serves the people. it doesn't undermine or demonize the people. >> bill: you and i had a little tet-a-tet. i don't think the a.p. story is going to involve any kind of scandal. i don't. i think they probably abused their power and holder doesn't know anything and all of that. >> i don't trust eric holder i must say. >> bill: mark rich the biggest tax sheet in american history. eric holder has got some problems. is he smart enough to say i'm not going to get involved in this. >> i'm recused.
5:53pm
we are recused from a lot of things over at the justice department. >> bill: security question. that's why i don't think this is as cut and dried as the irs stuff and benghazi stuff. >> that's what they are saying, right? the problem is when the president goes before that latino organization as he did last year and says punish your enemies, reward your friends or you are not going to get the result you want, that sets the tone. and i think the tone is set right from the top and who knows? who knows who ran with that? who knows -- well, maybe we can actually do something with that. the president seems to think you can punish your enemy. let's go become b. doing that now. >> bill: i think there was a culture in the irs. three times during the clinton administration they didn't like me much. >> you don't make much money so what are they going to do to you? >> bill: if you have to talk to my accountant swiftie you will never audit again. >> you give a lot of it it away. >> bill: that's for sure. >> you do. >> bill: coming right back with the factor tip of the day. it involves me and ben
5:54pm
franklin. the tip moments away. are you still sleeping? just wanted to check and make sure that we were on schedule. the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news. is now providing answers families need.
5:55pm
siemens. answers. i did? when visa signature asked everybody what upgraded experiences really mattered... you suggested luxury car service instd of "strength training with patrick willis." come on todd! flap them chicken wings. [ grunts ] well, i travel a lot and umm... [ male announcer ] at visa signature, every upgradedxperience comes from listening to our cardholders. visa signature. your idea of what a card should be. resulting in unexpected power and agility. experience the adventurous, all-powerful gator rsx850i. sixty-two horsepower, a fully independent multi-link suspension and a top speed of 53 miles per hour. it's a whole new species of gator. right now, visit your dealer or johndeere.com/gator
5:56pm
to get $800 off the gator rsx850i. beckel asked kirsten powers of the whys of benghazi. not if their opinions are based on facts, chris. that's a plausible theory.
5:57pm
go to go to west virginia. bill, a person of lower intelligence wants to know what happened. of medium focusing on that. you are welcome, walt. clearwater, florida. mr. o'reilly, president obama did not fire the irs chief, he resigned. there is a >> norm, please say hello to the scarecrow and toto for me. i haven't seen them for a while. >> and give me best to the flying monkeys. a lot of wizard of oz stuff going on here. we use the words lie when talking about president obama. but i know you, bill, will never say that out of fear.
5:58pm
well, i think your statement might be a lie, larry, so there. lori cummins from tennessee. mr. o., thanks for the tip about not eating wheat products. my daughter gave up gluten and her skin problems immediately cleared up. >> do i look like a fad kind of guy, cindy? everybody is different but i can say this with certainty. if americans cut down on the sugar and wheat, they will feel better and live stronger. >> i read everything about lincoln. my parents are even taking me gettysburg. the tip of the day comes
5:59pm
from hope island, australia. jeanne suggests if i read poor richard's allal -- almanac i will get a boat loads of wisdom. i think you are right. that's it for us tonight. please check out the fox news factor website which is different from billoreilly.com. also we would like you to spout off about the factor anywhere in the world, including hope island, australia. o'reilly as foxnews.com, o'reilly at foxnews.com. name and town, if you all wish to opine. word of the day, do not be peevish. you know what it is just by saying it. again, thanks for watching us tonight.
6:00pm
i'm bill o'reilly. please remember the spin stops right here because we are definitely looking out for you. >> this is a fox news alert. there are breaking developments tonight out of washington regarding the irs enemy's list scandal. a short time ago fox news learned that a second top official at the tax agency has announced plans to resign. now for the latest on the fallout surrounding the scandal and much more we head to washington. doug, what's the latest? >> the second ira executive to announce his plans to retire is joseph grant, commissioner of the tax-exempt entities division. he's an 8-year vet and former staffer of the house ways and means committee. that's the tax writing committee on the house side. surprisingly he was promote today his position only eight da

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)